Welcome to Brunswick County

Planning & Zoning

The Brunswick County Planning Department provides numerous services that relate to the well being and orderly development of the community. The Planning Department reviews and provides recommendations on all land use matters presented to the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors. The Planning Department also reviews plans of development for compliance with various County ordinances and is responsible for enforcement of the County's Subdivision and Zoning Ordinances.

The foundation of the Planning Department's efforts is the County's Comprehensive Plan. The Comprehensive Plan serves as a guide for growth, and contains recommendations for the County's future development. Planning staff works with citizens through a proactive, positive and inclusive process for every plan amendment.

The Planning Department is dedicated to the efficiently and effectively serving the citizens and stakeholders of Brunswick County.

P.O. Box 399
228 N. Main Street, Basement
Lawrenceville, VA 23868
Telephone: 434-848-0882
Fax: 434-848-8234

Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Planning Staff
George E. Morrison, III, Director of Planning
Dawn P. Washburn, Planner
Deborah K. Givens, Planning & Building Services Technician

E911 Addressing/Street Signs
Brunswick County requires structures to be identified by a uniform numbering system in order to assist public safety personnel when locating addresses and buildings. An application for a building permit shall be considered an application for an address assignment.

Street signs are maintained by the Planning Department. To report a missing or damaged street sign please contact the Planning Department.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are building setbacks and why are they required?
Building setbacks are the minimum distance separation required between property lines and a building. Setbacks are required by the Brunswick County Zoning Ordinance. The purpose of building setbacks is to provide adequate yard areas and separation between buildings for light, air and privacy between properties. The term "yards" is used in the ordinance to indicate required building "setbacks".

What building setbacks apply to my property?
Ordinarily, the required minimum yards listed in each zoning district apply to properties within that district. Setback requirements for any property may be modified by a condition of zoning or by variances granted by the Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA). Please contact the Planning Department to discuss your particular situation.

Do I need a business license to operate a business?
No, Brunswick County does not issue business license to operate a business, however new businesses must comply with applicable zoning requirements. If your business is operated from your home, it will also be subject to zoning requirements. Please contact the Planning Department for zoning information.

How much land do I need to construct/place a home on my property?
A minimum of one acre is required to construct/place a home on your property.

How many houses can I have on my property?
The Zoning Ordinance permits only one dwelling unit per lot or parcel but there are special situations where an additional home may be located on a property. Please contact the Planning Department to discuss your particular situation.

Can I operate a business from my home?
Home based businesses are permitted subject to certain restrictions in agricultural and residential zoning districts. Restrictions apply to who can work on the premises, parking, signage, type of business.

What type of uses are permitted on my property?
Permitted land uses vary by the zoning district. Conditions of zoning (conditional uses and special exceptions) may also allow or restrict certain permitted uses in the county. Contact the Planning Department to verify permitted uses for a specific property.

How can I determine where my property lines are located?
Property lines are the recorded boundaries of your property. These lines may be recorded in official county records in the form of a recorded subdivision plat or (in case of older properties or properties not located in subdivisions) by written deed description. Brunswick County does not located or mark private property lines. However, many properties have iron rods set at property corners, several inches below the surface of the soil. Often, the property owner may locate these rods by using a metal detector. If this is not possible, you may need the services of a professional land surveyor.